This a great drawing activity. I use it in Year 7 or 8 classes when I am teaching ratio or scale drawings. Here are my instructions to students:
1. To begin, select a cartoon from a newspaper, magazine, comic or print out one from the internet. For example, Flintstone characters from the website:
2. Draw a grid of squares on top of your small cartoon.
3. Draw an enlarged grid on a large sheet of paper.
4. At this point, you are ready to DRAW. Remember, you do NOT have to be an artist to produce an impressive enlargement. All you do is draw EXACTLY what you see in each small cell into its corresponding large cell.
5. Now proudly display your enlarged cartoon on your Maths room wall.