Mathematical Investigations give students an opportunity to apply the skills they have learnt and to use higher order skills such as synthesis, generalising and creating.
The internet is an excellent resource for teachers looking for rich, engaging investigations.
1. Check out the Victorian DEECD site for 7 excellent investigations.
2. Try a smorgasboard of MATHEMATICS INVESTIGATIONS AND PROBLEMS from McGraw-Hill.
3. Or look at the 34 activity sets of the textbook: “Mathematics for Elementary Teachers: An activity approach, Sixth Edition”.
4. My favourite resource is “Making Mathematics – Mentored Research Projects for Young Mathematicians”
5. “The Number Bracelets Game” is a nice example of a directed Maths Investigation.
If you have any good resources to add, please let me know!